How Much Does It Cost to Transport a Pet Interstate?
With Australia being such a massive country, driving or travelling interstate by land can take days and usually, people simply don’t have the luxury of time. Besides, finding pet-friendly lodging along the route may be a headache in and of itself.
So, if you need to relocate, you’ll have to consider the average cost of pet transport carefully.
How much does it cost to transport a pet interstate?
Well, there are a couple of factors that can affect how much moving your pet interstate will cost. These include the following:
- Mode of transport (air or road)
- Flight route and destination
- Type, size or weight of your pet and their crate or container
- Services required
Although there may be other expenses you’ll need to take into account when computing the average cost of pet transport, the above items would comprise a large portion of your interstate pet moving budget.
To give you a ballpark figure; say, if you’re having air transport arranged for your dog from Perth to Melbourne and it weighs 30 kilograms (including the crate or pet container), the cost could be somewhere around $900 to $1,500.
Interstate Pet Transport Prices by Type and Size of Pet
The type of pet you have and its size have a huge bearing on determining how much you need to shell out for interstate pet transport.
Knowing the type of pet your service provider would be handling and caring for will help them prepare for the services and materials they’ll need to fulfil their role efficiently. For example, a nervous dog might need a pet mat to keep him dry during the trip, or you might need a special crate or receptacle if it’s live fishes in a fish tank you’ll be transporting.
The size of your pet and its crate will determine how much space it’ll occupy in the pet cabin during the flight. Note that in adherence to International Air Transport Association (IATA) standards, the travel container or crate your pet will use must allow him to stand, turn around, and lie down comfortably.
Below is a detailed discussion on pet interstate transport prices based on the type of pet you’re taking with you.
How much does it cost to fly a dog interstate?
The cost to fly a dog interstate usually depends on the breed and other physical attributes of your pup. In general, puppy freight costs start from around $350. Below is a more specific breakdown of average costs based on dog size.
- Small-breed dogs or miniature varieties: $350 to $700
- Medium-breed dogs or standard varieties: $400 to $1,000
- Large-breed dogs or giant varieties: $380 to $1,500
When calculating the total interstate dog transport cost, don’t forget to factor in the crate, as its weight and dimensions could increase the final quote.
Aside from this, any additional materials and services you require for the comfort and safety of your pup could add up as well. These include:
- Pet collection to and from the place of origin and destination and/or flight only
- Crate hire or purchase
- Short- or long-term temporary pet accommodation
- Veterinary care (including required vaccines)
- Exercise and playtime
- Specialty services for pets with specific needs (e.g. senior pets, BOAS affected brachycephalic or flat-faced breeds like
- British and French bulldogs, Pekingese, pugs, and Shih Tzu, special needs or sensitive pups)
- Express or VIP services
Therefore, how much it costs to transport a dog interstate depends on a lot of factors. So, when you ask for a quote, make sure you provide a detailed list of not only the usual information your provider needs but also the services you require for your fur baby.
➜ Get a Quote for Interstate Dog Transport
➜ You might also like our guide on Moving with Dogs
Interstate Pet Transport Prices by Destination
As always, the distance from point A (origin) to point B (destination) could impact interstate pet air transport prices significantly and vary greatly.
For example, if you have a 20-kilogram dog to transport interstate, here are some cost projections you can use as a guide depending on where you’re headed:
Interstate Pet Transport Cost Considerations
Moving pets interstate is no small feat, especially since animals are sensitive creatures – whether you have a dog or cat. Fishes and birds are even more challenging to transport interstate as they are prone to getting stressed more easily, even with simple changes like lighting and movement.
Therefore, when planning for interstate pet transport, always consider the following:
- Several weeks prior to your pet’s flight, ensure it undergoes pet travel crate familiarisation training.
- Ensure your pet’s vaccination records (where applicable) are updated two prior to its scheduled departure.
- Arrange for your departure and book tickets. As much as possible, schedule pet travel around autumn or winter, so it won’t be exposed to extreme heat.
- Measure your pet dog or cat and choose an IATA-approved travel crate where your fur baby will be comfortable even if it needs to travel for an hour or more.
- For bird and fish owners, prepare your pets only on the day of and a few minutes prior to their departure to minimise stress.
As in any relocation situation, preparation is key.
Therefore, aside from taking care of the above tasks, make sure you only work with a reliable and trustworthy interstate pet transport service provider.
With a professional pet transport company like Relocations WA by your side, the paperwork can get a little bit easier to manage and you’ll have someone you can depend on to make the process of moving your pet interstate as smooth as possible.
Why Choose Relocations WA for Pet Transport?
Relocations WA is your perfect partner for all your pet transport needs, whether you’re moving interstate or overseas. When you choose us, you can expect end-to-end or customised pet moving services to ensure the safe and timely transport of your pet. We provide door-to-door pet relocation assistance whether you plan to move your pet locally or internationally.
We can also organise and take care of all your interstate or overseas relocation needs, including your packing, moving and storage requirements.
Our more-than-five decades of industry experience attest to our professionalism and expertise when it comes to removals.
Plan your move with Relocations WA and contact us today!